Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Science Debate!!!

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while. My internet has been on the fritz, and Comcast had to send someone out twice before they decided that maybe replacing the stupid cable modem was a good idea. Unfortunately, where I live, I can't get anyone else. So anyway, Hillary won Ohio and the Texas primary (Obama probably won the Texas caucus, but the results aren't actually in.) This thing is going to drag on forever, so the least the candidates can do is debate new and interesting things. Enter ScienceDebate 2008, a grassroots effort to get the Democratic and Republican candidates to debate science issues in Philadelphia on April 18. (The Pennsylvania Democratic primary is April 22.) The issues to be debated are divided into three policy areas:... The Environment, Health and Medicine, and Science and Technology Policy. Questions on topics such as climate change (I'm assuming this debate wouldn't include 'clean coal' commercials), population growth, stem cell research, drug patents, science education, and space exploration. Science questions are going to be particularly crucial in deciding where the nation is heading in the next few years in a variety of ways, and I for one would love to see the candidates discuss these policy positions more fully and openly with the public. Maybe we could even get a feel for relative levels of tech savvy/cluelessness. (Hint: If any candidate says "The Google," I will spring my secret trapdoor in the stage floor, just like they do in the cartoons.)

0 comments: