Monday, February 25, 2008

Everything I need to know I learn from sci-fi

One of my main goals for this blog is to eventually get some good discussion going in the comments section, particularly involving the implications of ideas found in good books. So I'm recommending one. Neil Stephenson's The Diamond Age totally blew my mind and may completely change my life trajectory. So if you haven't read it, now would be an awesome time to do so. And since March is International Ideas Month (don't ask me how I know that), I will probably start an ongoing series of discussions then. If you miss one, don't worry! Just let me know! I'm particularly interested in practical ideas coming out of his his conceptualization of education. To be honest, (a small) part of why I started this blog was because I couldn't find enough information on that subject, which made me realize that was also true of a lot of other subjects. Perhaps this is because my interests are obscure, or perhaps simply because people don't think to write about them. In any case...ready yourself for the coming discussion. Otherwise I will be alone with my thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Book arrived in the mail!

Have begun reading!

Will alert you upon completion!

< END TRANSMISSION >

Anonymous said...

Wait a tick...

Did you order me a NEW book? I thought this was your old copy! Gaaaah, thank you so much! *tackles gleefully*